This is my place to chronicle the simple pleasures of my life.....I knit, crochet and sew etc. I'm a proud Mommy, a wife and above all a soul of living light. Join me on a journey to inspiration amongst craft or life.....

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thought process of knit/crochet

I really want to cast on a new project but I'm having trouble even picking up the needles, laying in bed last night I think I worked out the problems, oops sorry 'steps' to getting started that actually hinder the starting process and the finishing for that matter LOL

Step 1: The pattern....this is the first problem cos any knit/crochet project starts with a pattern AND you have to find the pattern first which means spending lots of time surfing the net, staring at ravelry and sifting thru your books. It's just not that simple because searching inevitably means getting sidetracked - 'oohh never seen that pattern' (it's for a skirt and you were originally searching for a vest)....'Oh look at what so and so did with that pattern' might have to try it one day (in the queue)...Looking at your queue - 'Oh I forgot I had queued THAT pattern' (Off you go for a look at it in more detail) and before you know it you've taken up (or wasted hehe) 3- 5 hours and you haven't even FOUND a pattern yet.

Step 2: The yarn ......So lets assume we actually found a pattern........next issue - yarn like all good things is addictive, most knitters/crocheters will most likely (or not) admit to a cupboard full of yarn and yet there is always that 'extra' weekly trip to the LYS or those skeins you couldn't resist coming in the post. Touching it, running your hand over your full baskets, staring at it or just dreaming of it are all part of a normal day.
You get a lil giddy and excited but at the same time a little rueful, do you really want to use it??? after all then it will be gone.....

Step 3: The cast on/chain....AGAIN we're assuming that we've actually not only managed to choose the pattern but that we've actually paired it with a yarn........Next issue.......Your empowered, you've made choices and your ready, on go the stitches, your fingers are excited and flying, your absorbed in the joy that is creating....and what a joy it is, 'it's going to look so cute on'...

UH OH ....your friend came over, you went on ravelry, you just had to flick thru that magazine didn't you???
That new skein came in the mail - it's oh so soft and beckoning - the colors are just so real - it's calling you like an alluring siren to a sailor.................................................
Suddenly your WIP's shimmer is fading - If I just put it to the side for now....just for today???? And the cogs start turning, you can tell your slowly slipping back to the first step can't you........Hmm

......................................

Now what else is there to say but 'thank the lord for project bags' (and lots of them LOL)

AND I still haven't found that pattern yet....although I *think* i have the yarn I want to use - hmm hang on don't I have those 10 skeins coming in the post from the co-op????
Maybe I should wait.......................and while I'm waiting maybe I could fill the time browsing the new patterns on ravelry

No comments: