First I raided my fabric stash and found the perfect base - an old retro tablecloth, it had some flowers but hey I could work with them :)
Next I sketched a rough design on paper of a race track/roads - when I was happy I freehand sketched it onto the tablecloth.
Then on my sewing machine I simply stitched over all my lines using black thread - a bit fiddly and not perfect but it looked good. I added helicopter pads too.
Next I started embellishing with anything I had in my craft boxes - felt for trees and water etc (all done freehand and sewn on with the machine), I found some sew on appliques so stitched them on too - I parked the race car in a car park hehe, next some buttons came in handy in various shapes....I love the little mushroom houses :)
Total cost - $0 .....Time spent - 1 day.